Monday, October 3, 2011

"Crying It Out" Night 1

You wouldn't think that letting your baby "cry it out" would also mean you would be crying right along with them. Holy crap that was ridiculous. Tonight was the first night of "Ferberizing" our bean. As I've mentioned, I've been told multiple times now that in order to stop Natalie from be dependent on me and her binky to fall asleep this is what needed to be done. I have tired, literally, of having interrupted sleep from 1:00AM to 6:00AM every morning. As advised by... well, everyone... I decided I had to crack down and make it happen. I bought the book "How to Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Ferber, on my iPad and have been reading it since Saturday. I knew I needed some kind of guidance so I went for it.

Night 1 of Ferberizing
Normal bedtime routine: bath time, lotion, PJs, Bottle, playtime (30minutes), and finally a few books in the rocking chair. Normally at this point I rock bean for a good 15 minutes and then once she is out cold lay her in her crib for bed. Instead tonight I opted for HELL! The easy to read chart in the book sounded nice and gradual. However, it failed to mention how 3 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 10 minutes would result in me crying on the floor outside her door. I also developed a good dose of hives after my first visit into her room when she looked at me all excited. Needless to say it was straight misery. By 26 minutes she started to simmer down a bit so I didn't go back in at the ten minute mark. She was quiet for a good 30 seconds at a time. This is the only time I wish I had a video monitor lol. It had been 8 minutes of quiet so I checked on her and she was out cold. After 40 minutes total I went downstairs and poured myself a well deserved Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

Supposedly, I'm to continue this when she wakes up during the night. Wish me luck. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhh.

    good for you, V. I'll be right there with you in a bit.

    Layla goes to bed at 8:30 and wakes up at least twice for her pacifier before waking up around 4 AM to eat. I don't mind the feeding but the pacifier wakes up are becoming killer. She is also still in our room and I may need to scoot her to the crib soon. I'm going to get that book, I think. Hang in there, good luck and know you're not alone!

    xoxoxo
    Layla loves Nat!

    ReplyDelete